Back Pain: Causes & Treatment
Posted on December 14 2017
When it comes to chronic pain, men and women are not equal. Females experience more chronic pain due to differences in pelvic structure, hormonal factors, and the impact of pregnancy.
It is estimated that roughly 80% of all Americans will suffer from back pain at least once in their lives. Although back pain can affect people of all ages, studies show that it’s the adults aged between 35 and 55 years who are more susceptible to the pain. According to experts, back pain derives from the way our bones, muscles, and ligaments work and connect together.
Some of the most common causes of back pain in general include: strained muscles, strained ligaments, and muscle spasms. Things that can lead to strains include lifting something heavy or improperly.
Furthermore, there is a wide range of structural issues that can lead to back pain, such as:
- Arthritis- arthritis is an inflammation of the joints. It can affect one joint or multiple joints.
- Ruptured discs - intervertebral discs that are located between spinal vertebrae, cushion and protect the spinal column as it moves and bends. Ruptured discs occur when one of the spinal discs develops a crack in its tough outer wall and its inner disc material is pushed out into the spinal canal.
- Bulging disks - a bulging disc injury is a common spine injury sustained to the spine's intervertebral disc, in much the same way as ruptured discs.
- Sciatica - sciatica is nerve pain from irritation of the sciatic nerve.
- Osteoporosis - this condition weakens bone and increases risk of bones breaking.
- Cancer of the spine - a tumor on the spine may result in back pain.
- Infection of the spine - infection may be caused by bacteria or fungal organisms, viruses, or can occur after a spinal procedure or surgery.
- Cauda equine syndrome - this is due to damage to the bundle of nerves below the end of the spinal cord.
- Sleep disorders - people with sleep disorders are more prone to experience back pain.
There are also a wide range of everyday activities that can lead to back pain problems, including:
- Carrying heavy objects
- Improper lifting of heavy objects
- Standing for long periods
- Bending down for long periods
- Muscle tension
- Long driving sessions
- Sitting in front of a computer for long periods
The major symptom of back pain is an ache anywhere on the back or down to the buttocks and legs. Depending on the nerves affected, some people may also experience pain in other parts of the body.
The following symptoms may accompany back pain, including:
- Inflammation on the back
- Weight loss
- Legs pain
- Below-the-knee pain
- Difficulty urinating
- Fecal incontinence
- Numbness around the genitals, anus, and buttocks
Back pain may be constant or sudden, mild or debilitating. Depending on the severity of the pain, treatment options include:
Bed rest- it is recommended those two days of bed rest can lower the symptoms of back pain.
Medication- Recommended medication include, acetaminophen for pain or anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Some tricyclic antidepressants have been also shown to alleviate the symptoms of back pain.
Physical therapy- This type of treatment may include the application of heat and ice, ultrasound and electrical stimulation, and muscle-release techniques in order to alleviate pain.
Complementary therapies- Some people may opt for more holistic therapies, including yoga, acupuncture, Shiatsu, or seeing a chiropractor.
Sleep support. These products can improve the quality of your sleep and soothe all the contours of your body. Sleep support products range from memory foam beds, adjustable bases, and pillows for back pain, to bed wedges, bed linens and mattresses.
Posture correctors- Posture correctors are highly recommended by doctors to correct posture and provide support for the abdomen, lumbo-sacral, and middle and upper back areas. Gabrialla’s posture corrector are masterfully designed to prevent scoliosis, spinal problems, osteoporosis, lumbago, and radiculitis among others. They perfectly fit the contours of a woman’s body, giving the ultimate comfort and support.